Everyone constantly says “we need more hours in a day.” Well on November 1, 2015, our wish was answered. Although we only received one additional hour due to “turning back our clocks,” our internal body clock is still on our original time. Take advantage of Daylight Savings to increase your organization & productivity. Set your alarm clock for one hour earlier than you normally set it. You will not have a problem waking up. Your body is already used to waking up at that time. To offset your sleep, try to go to sleep 30 minutes earlier each night. By using this technique, you will force yourself to wake up early without your body even knowing it. During your extra hour in the morning, you can:
- Empty your dishwasher and wash one load of clothes: In my free email course, we discussed the benefits of loading and running your dishwasher at night. We also discussed washing small loads of clothes each day. Only wash clothes in increments you can realistically put away to avoid living out of a stack of clothes.
- Study: If you are in school, take this time to read or study. Everyone in your home will probably be sleep and you can use this time to study and get prepared for your class.
- Daily Chore: In my full Home & Life Organizational Strategies Course, you are provided a daily organizational / chore chart. Instead of spending a whole day cleaning your home, the tasks are broken down into small manageable chores. During that extra hour in the morning, you can complete your daily chore.
- Exercise: There is never enough time to exercise. You can use the extra hour to exercise at home. You can do workout videos on YouTube or exercise dvds each morning for 30 minutes.
- Check Emails: Our email boxes are constantly over flowing. You can take this time to read, send, and respond to emails.
- Challenges: There are tons of free challenges and email courses available . We often sign up for all of them. When the daily challenges and emails arrive, they can be overwhelming and we tend to not do any of them. Use the extra hour to read the emails and complete the challenges.
- Get to Work 30 Minutes Early: Start your work day early. If you work outside of the home, your manager or supervisor will see your newly found dedication. It will not be overlooked when it is time for a promotion or performance evaluation. If you are self employed or work at home, this extra hour will be great as a head start for your day.
- Plan Your Day: Use your planner (paper or digital) to prioritize the tasks of your day. Work on your top 3 items. Mark Twain said you should eat a live frog in the morning. Basically, he is recommending you complete your hardest task first. By completing your hardest task first, everything else is easy peasy.
I hope these tips and suggestions can help you use Daylight Savings to become more organized and productive. I understand every location does not participate in Daylight Savings, however, everyone can set their alarm an hour earlier to have an extra hour in the day to work. Also, please comment below with things you would do with an extra hour each day. I would love to hear from you.
For additional tips and strategies, register HERE for my free email course “5 Days to an Organized Home & Life”. Each day you will receive strategies for keeping your home & life organized and having a “company ready” home at all time. You can also visit my full interior decorating website at www.divineelementsofdesign.net