Do you like designer home decor accents, but not the designer price tag? Consider shopping at discount stores such as TJMaxx, Home Goods, and Marshalls. Many people often think about these stores for clothes and shoes, but often forget about them for their home decor items. These stores have beautiful department store grade home decor items such as furniture, rugs, lamps, wall art, mirrors, etc. Use the following 10 tips to score big.
(Disclaimer: This post is NOT sponsored by TJMaxx. TJMaxx is not aware of this post. However, if you are a TJMaxx representative or know one, please feel free to share it.)
- Take your Time – When you are shopping for home decor accents and accessories, take your time. Do not rush. Do not try to “run into the store to grab something.”Being patient is a key element.
- Buy It NOW – If you see an item that you think may be perfect, but not sure…. simply buy it now.. If it doesn’t work, return it immediately. If you decide that you want to purchase it later, I promise you, it will not be there. I’ve never regretted buying something. I’ve only regretted not buying it.
- Avoid the weekends – Weekends are stores most business times. If possible, shop in the morning during the week.
- Don’t be afraid to move items around the store – As a Certified Interior Decorator, I’m not afraid to rearrange the store if necessary. If you want to know how an item will look next to another item, move it…
- Ask the sales associates for assistance – The sales associates are there to help. If you need them to move something, retrieve a price, or simply their opinion, don’t be afraid to ask.
- Look at “put backs” – Many people (like myself) return items or decide not to purchase an item once they make it to the counter. The associates may not be able to return the items to the floor immediately. If you see something you like, don’t be afraid to ask.
- Use the Rewards card – If you have a Rewards Card or a Rewards Credit Card, use it. I encourage you to use the Rewards Credit Card for your purchase, and them immediately pay the bill. By using the Rewards Card or Rewards Credit Card, you will receive points which may be used for future purchases and discounts.
- Learn your store’s schedule – Many TJMaxx stores receive new merchandise on Wednesdays. However, your local store may be different. Learn the schedule and try to shop on the day they put out the new items.
- Check out the Clearance section – Don’t forget the clearance section. I’ve found tons of awesome home decor items there.
- Don’t be afraid to mix and match – Do you only see 2 different sets of 2 dining chairs? Your dining room doesn’t have to be matchy matchy. In fact, being unique and thinking outside the box will set your home apart from your neighbors. Be creative with your home’s decor.
I would love to hear your tips and suggestions. Please feel free to leave them in the comment section. If you found this post helpful, please subscribe to stay updated on home decor ideas, organizational tips, and planning & productivity strategies.
If you need help getting your home and life organized, register for my free “5 Days to an Organized Home & Life” email course. You’ll receive tips and suggestions for five days and a copy of my eBook. You can register for the free course HERE.
As always thanks for stopping by. If you have any organizational or decorating questions, please do not hesitate to ask. I would love to hear from you. For information concerning our decorating services and products, please visit Divine Elements of Design